All UW System institutions are partnering to transform purchasing and accounts payable systems by implementing a future state procure-to-pay solution. The Procure-to-Pay (P2P) Automation Project will significantly improve the end-user experience by making it easier to place and track orders. This project also aims to improve the quantity and quality of data, streamline business processes and facilitate strategic sourcing.
The project is being led by purchasing and accounts payable leaders across the UW System. It is also a collaborative effort with the Administrative Transformation Program.
- UW System’s multiple automated and paper business processes are not integrated, making purchasing complex and inefficient
- Internal control issues mitigated with manual workarounds would be addressed with better technology and workflow approval
- Audits indicate the need for a contract repository and improved internal controls
- Implement a future state procure-to-pay cloud-based platform
- Integrate the future state P2P solution to Shared Financial System (SFS)/PeopleSoft
- Replace and improve upon current purchasing functionality
- Analyze campus shadow/bolt-on systems for potential replacement or integration
- Create one system–wide vendor file
Improved User Experience
- Guided buying helps users find contracted products and services more efficiently.
- Status of requests and payments are visible throughout the lifecycle of the transaction.
- Cloud-based electronic workflows make review and approval of requests accessible anytime, anywhere.
- Visibility of purchasing and payables documentation facilitates audits and reconciliation.
- Approvals are documented and retrievable.
- Access to a central contract repository makes it easier to comply with on-contract purchasing.
Improved Business Processes
- Streamlined electronic processes reduce confusion and processing time.
- Electronic queues make it easier to manage workloads.
- Visibility to spend supports better budget management.
Future State Procure-to-Pay Features
- Purchasing and payment requests and approvals are routed automatically
- Expanded selection and improved process for contracted ecommerce purchasing
- Integrated sourcing, supplier management, and contract life cycle management
- Electronic contract repository which integrates with requisitions and payment requests
- Shared supplier file across all campuses to leverage volume discounts and streamline tax reporting
- On-screen assists will help users navigate the purchasing process
Share Your Thoughts
Do you use campus procurement or accounts payable systems? Share your experiences and your hopes for this project.